Singapore Airlines has been founded in 1972 as a regional airline and evolved into a high-quality international travel brand known all around the world. Even before beginning to operate under this name, when it was known as the Malayan Airways of the 1940s and 1950s, it was recognized for its commitment to service excellence. Also as of [...]
Singapore Airlines has been founded in 1972 as a regional airline and evolved into a high-quality international travel brand known all around the world. Even before beginning to operate under this name, when it was known as the Malayan Airways of the 1940s and 1950s, it was recognized for its commitment to service excellence. Also as of 1 April 2012, the average age of Singapore Airlines’ fleet stands at six years and two months.
Today, it flies one of the youngest aircraft fleets in the world using the most modern and fuel efficient aircraft to different destinations in six continents: passenger services to more than 60 cities in more than 30 countries all around the world. Within the Asian region, passengers can use SilkAir, the airlines’ regional wing, to connect to over 30 cities from the UAE to Australia.
Singapore Airlines has been a pioneer in providing several inflight services during all years of its operation from introducing free headsets and satellite-based telephones to the world’s longest non-stop flight service from Singapore to New York.
Singapore Airlines List of Services
Passengers can plan and book trips online with Singapore Airlines. The airline’s website has got an internet version and also applications for iPhone and Android.
Here is a general list of the services passengers get on board:
- Seats including Suites, First Class, Business Class, Economy Class & Singapore Girl
- Entertainment including movies, television programs, music, games & applications, entertainment and connectivity applicable for various devices
- Cuisine for all classes using top chefs offering a variety of selected dishes and wine as well as special meals for adults and young passengers
- Providing travel advice, special assistance, medical information and equipment and child care
- Providing baggage allowance, excess baggage and special baggage
- Tracing, locating and delivering lost/mishandled baggage
- Leading passengers to particular terminals
- Offering SilverKris Lounge, KrisFlyer Gold Lounge, First Class check-in & Partner Lounges
- Providing PPS (Priority Passenger Service ) Club services with different service plans
- Offering discounts based on the mileage
Earning & Redeeming Mileage at Singapore Airlines
Passengers can earn and redeem mileage on Singapore Airlines’ services as well as with Krisflyer partners. These partners are Star Alliance members, SilkAir, Virgin Atlantic, Air India and a large number of hotel chains and car-hire service companies.
In KrisFlyer plan, passengers can accrue 25,000 miles to earn Elite Silver status and 50,000 miles for Elite Gold status within a 12-month period. If such mileage is covered using Singapore Airline’s suites, first class and business class or Silk Air’s business class, passengers can enter PPS Club. The PPS is also divided into the PPS Club, Solitaire PPS Club and the Solitaire PPS Club Life.
Corporate Management & Structure
Singapore government is the main shareholder of the airline through the Ministry of Finance although it has stressed that it is not involved in the management of the company. The other party is the holding company Temasek Holdings which holds 54.5% of voting stock.
The airlines has divided its activities into related industries and sectors, including ground handling, aircraft leasing, aviation engineering, air catering, and tour operations. It consists of 25 subsidiaries, 32 associates, and two joint venture companies. Bank of China has bought 35.5% of of its equity shares.
Singapore Airlines has committed itself to several causes by supporting programs that benefit various communities throughout the world. Some of these responsibilities are:
- Community Welfare via corporate donations, sponsorship, etc
- The Art & Heritage in areas like music, museum, etc
- Educational Programs & Events inside & outside its country of origin
- Annual Event of International Horse Racing
- National Events like National Day Parade, etc
- Corporate Governance by giving high priority to ethical business conduct
As an environment-friendly airline, it has participated and supported several programs and projects:
- Protecting Harapan Rainforest in Indonesia
- Supporting new technology and Green initiatives on the ground
- Supporting Sustainable Aviation Fuel Users Group (SAFUG)
- Following Flight Operation Procedures that Reduce Fuel Burn
- Participating in the Asia and Pacific Initiative to Reduce Emissions (ASPIRE)
- Commiting to Achieving Carbon-Neutral Growth
The Singapore Airlines Group has over 20 subsidiaries. The main subsidiaries include:
- SIA Cargo manages cargo with B747-400 Freighters almost anywhere in the world,
- SIA Engineering Company provides engineering services to over 85 airlines globally,
- SilkAir operates to Asian destinations serving both leisure and business travelers, and
- Tradewinds Tours and Travel operates tours to numerous destinations around the world.
Due to its commitment to service excellence, Singapore Airlines claims to be the world’s most awarded airline. It has earned several awards every year since 2000 for its high quality service providing.VN:F [1.9.22_1171]VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Contact InfoTelephone : +65 6223 8888
Fax : +65 6490 0596
Email : public_affairs[at]singaporeair[dot]com[dot]sg
Address : 2 Orchard Turn, #04-05 ION Orchard, Singapore 238801